Saturday, August 21, 2010

Her eyes, her eyes make the stars look like they're not shining.



My wits are perturbed for particular academic reasons, and can't come up with an obligatory birthday message. So instead, I'll give a somewhat detailed account of how I spent my Saturday afternoon in the company of a beautiful girl who owns those compelling smiles.

Let's start at a message I received from Kristine earlier this week, wherein she notified me about a mini get-together with a few Gryffindor (funny how I use the name now) people on Saturday. I agreed right away. After the exhausting examinations, a time with the friends I missed is much timely.

Saturday. My neon green alarm clock screams half an hour past one already. I'm late. Quickly, I tossed in a default maroon polo shirt, a pair of tight-fitting jeans and loose powder on my face, and I'm good to go.

I felt every minute weigh in. Because I'm almost an hour late, I have no phone, and because no final plans were made, I may not see them after all. But I kept my spirits up.

I reached the entrance soon enough. And even before my body temperature adjusted to the mall's ventilation, I saw her. Despite my 100/150 vision, I can tell it was her. And apparently, she was alone.

Hurrying to the second floor, my thoughts were on how I would approach her, or what words would seem fit enough to greet a friend you haven't seen for three months. But by the moment I was within her proximity, those thoughts just vanished.

She shunned away from my direction, and for this I wondered. When I saw her up close, I realized it was because she was crying. Not the bawling-her-eyes type. Just a soft sob. Out of happiness, out of relief, I can't tell.

I'd be lying if I tell you that our conversation carried on naturally and continuously, because it didn't. There were the awkward pauses. The instances when we second guess what to say next. And those times, when we just grinned at each other, like fools.

Don't get me wrong, I was more than happy to be with her at that moment. In the end, she was the same person I met a few months back. The same girl from Pili who has a stature that can give Venus Raj a run for her money. The same girl who gave me advices on nights when I felt like cutting my own wrist. The same girl who likes "Slumdog Millionaire" for special reasons, who dreams of living in a house with walls lined with hundreds of books, and who values memories with her family and friends more than anything else in this fickle world of ours.

Right now, I'm staring at the cursor blink furiously, and I'm still thinking how I can give this tale a righteous ending. But maybe, maybe, I'm not the one who should. So to the rest of the things unwritten here, and in her life, I leave it to her. Because with girls like her, girls like Angela, they're the ones who's bound to get that righteous ending at the finale. We just have to wait and see. :)

No comments: